It was a hot Sunday evening and it was a toss up between Asian Infusion or Mexican inspiration. A trip to the grocers soon solved that one as I spied a couple of Green Mangos in among the new season Golden Mangos. Green Mango Salad was the go.
Looking further for inspiration and not feeling like any meat with the salad or anything too heavy I found some Pomegranates, Fresh Ginger and Chilli. Surely I could create something out of that combination.
And so be it, I did. Green Mango Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Chilli Dressing
Green Mango Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Chilli Dressing
What you will need:
- 1 x Green Mango, julienne
- 1 x Carrot, julienne
- 1/2 x Cucumber, julienne
- 1 x Pomegranate – seeded
- 1 bunch coriander – chopped
- 1 x lemon, juiced
- 1 x lime, juiced
- 1 x green chili, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
What you will need to do:
- Score the mango to remove the skin, then slice or grate as able into thin strips
- Grate the carrot and cucumber (or julienne) and combine with Mango in a bowel
- Chop up one bunch of coriander, including stalks, finely and mix in with the remaining ingredients
- To de-seed the Pomegranate: Cut in half, then carefully break into quarters to scrape out the seeds (Warning: Pomegranate Juice is not kind to light coloured clothing – wear an apron!)
- Mix in the seeds with the remainder of the salad.
- To make the dressing: combine all dressing ingredients in a bowel and mix well. Add brown sugar for taste as desired.
- Dress the salad and combine well.
- Serve along, or with tofu or salmon on the side
Serves: 3-4 as a main salad if having some protein source in addition, or serves 2 as a main meal.
So fresh! So tasty! So many anti-oxidants!
This salad could also be made with Green Papaya too. It keeps well in the fridge for 1-2 days as leftovers.