I love rhubarb. I love apples. I most of all love crumble.
Sometimes it is hard to make a crumble and transport it to share with friends, family or the workplace. So there is always the option of crumble cake, or crumble muffins. But something even more delicious. Crumble Slice.
This slice was extremely well received by all that tried it. I highly recommend this recipe. It can be made with gluten free flour or regular flour depending on your dietary needs. The recipe is adapted from here.
- 1 bunch Rhubarb
- 4 Granny Smith apples, sliced
- 1 Ruby Red Grapefruit (juiced)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 200g Butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Plain/Gluten-free Flour, sifted
- 1 cup Wholegrain Oats
- Extra 1/2 cup Plain/Gluten-free Flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large ovenproof dish with baking paper
- Trim top and bottom of rhubarb, rinse under cold water and cut stalks into 10cm lengths. Peel, quarter and core apples. Cut quarters in half again. Combine the apple, rhubarb, vanilla and grapefruit juice in a bowl
- Spread apple and rhubarb over bottom of the baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes until tender and golden. Set aside to cool
- Line base and sides of a 20 x 30cm lamington tin with baking paper (or like I used, a silicon baking dish that does not need lining)
- Beat butter and sugar in the small bowl of an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Then add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in flour and oats until combined. Spread half of the oat mixture over base of prepared tin. Spread cooked apple and rhubarb over oat mixture
- Add extra flour to remaining oat mixture and stir to combine. Crumble over apple and rhubarb and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and stand on a wire rack to cool
- Cut into pieces to serve. Sprinkle with a little icing sugar or grated coconut if you wish
- When cooking this recipe with the gluten-free flour, the slice mixture remains rather wet. It does not crumble over the top so easy, so pull bits of mixture apart and sprinkle over the apple and rhubarb mixture
- I have used Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice to sweeten the fruit while it cooks. The originally recipe asked for brown sugar, which I think would have made the slice too sweet
Let me know if you make it! or how the recipe turns out!