This rich, chocolatey deliciousness of a cake fulfilled any chocolate desires we had this Easter.
A winner from the baking mastermind, Donna Hay.
- 115g unsalted butter, chopped
- 450g dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1 cup (50g) mini pretzels
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Lightly grease and line a 22cm round springform cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a large bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until melted and smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat and set aside.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and whisk until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Add the egg yolks and salt to the chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- In 3 batches, gently fold the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture until just combined.
- Pour into the tin and arrange the pretzels on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges are cooked when tested with a skewer and the centre is just set. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until chilled. Slice to serve. Serves 8–10.
Puzzled why I have posted such a rich, decadent, delicious dessert on my blog that contains real sugar, chocolate and butter? Read on here.
Recipe Credit // Donna Hay Magazine
Image Credit / Nickie Hursthouse