- 2 cups dates, pitted and halved
- 2 cups boiling water
- 50g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 cup wholegrain rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dried apple, diced
- 1 cup pecans, very roughly chopped
- 27x15cm loaf tin, lined and greased (or 2 smaller tins, or a 20cm square tin)
Preheat the oven to 180˚C fan forced oven
Put dates in a big pot. Cover with boiling water and add butter, sugar and golden syrup. Bring to the boil, stirring to combine. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, add baking soda and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
Put flour, oats, apple and pecans into a big bowl. Add egg to melted mixture, whisk in, then pour into flour and mix well. Spoon into prepared tin and smooth top. Bake 40 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer. Leave to cool in tin for 15 minutes before turning out to cool.
Adapted from “From the Kitchen“