Pancakes are a classic breakfast, usually made as a treat for family brunch. But now with this recipe there is no reason why you can’t have them more often.
The wholemeal flour and oats provide sustained energy and more fibre, compare to a classic recipe made with only white flour.
Using low-fat ricotta instead of butter lowers the fat content of the pancakes.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal self raising flour
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 80g soft butter (or low fat ricotta)
- 2 1/3 cups milk*
- Olive oil spray
- Seasonal fruit, e.g. blueberries, strawberries, or your choice of topping
- Add oats and flour to a bowl, mix well and then add the sugar
- Stir well before and then add the milk, butter and egg
- Combine well
- Spray olive oil into a frying pan and place over a medium heat
- Add 2 large spoonfuls of the mixture to the pan
- Cook for around 2 minutes (or until bubbles form on the top) before turning the pancake over
- Cook for another minute or until nicely browned
- Add your favourite fruit and toppings to serve
* You can use non-dairy alternatives such as soy milk or rice milk if you need to
Lemon and Raw Sugar
Fresh Berries and Greek Yoghurt
Banana and Maple Syrup/Honey
Cooked Apple and Cinnamon