On a recent pantry clean-out I discovered some chickpea flour tucked away down the back.
Chickpea flour is high in fibre and protein as well as being another gluten-free flour option. This below recipe was inspired by a recipe I found on In pursuit of more with credit to them for the instructions on soaking the flour.
I used this flatbread with soup for an alternative to wholegrain bread, but also tried it at breakfast time with some Raspberry Jam on top.
- 2 1/2 cups of chickpea flour
- 3 1/2 cups of cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh sprig of Rosemary
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place the chickpea flour in a bowl and gradually add the cold water stirring well with a whisk to avoid any lumps forming season with a little salt and pepper
- When the chickpea flour and water are combined and smooth, cover and let sit for 3+ hours
- After the above time has passed, remove any foam off the top
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and prepare a deep dish cooking tray covered with the olive oil
- Pour the bread mixture into the cooking tray and place into the oven (NB: if you are making purely savoury bread, season with chili or rosemary at this time prior to cooking)
- Cook for 30 minutes or until golden and crisp on top
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5-10minutes. Then cut into triangles to serve.
This bread can be kept in an air-tight container for 3-4 days. The bread is best toasted and served warm.