Zucchini, sometimes known as courgette, are a delicious and versatile vegetable. Vegetable spaghetti is something I have featured in the past on the blog with this recipe which uses a type of squash. Using vegetables in place of other complex carbohydrates, like pasta and bread, is becoming quite common. Some may say a passing fad or trend. But the ease of using vegetables for spaghetti, or cauliflower for pizza bases, helps one get more vegetables into their diet in a quick and easy way. It also removes any decisions that need to be made around purchasing processed foods.
Here I have a one-pot recipe for some delicious zucchini spaghetti that serves one. To cater for more, just double or triple the ingredients for 2-3 people. Very simple!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 tsp fresh or dried chilli
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- Olives, a handful of your choice
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Basil leaves
- Grate zucchini and squeeze out excess water in a colander
- Heat olive oil in a fry pan and add the garlic and stir well
- Add the grated zucchini to mix in with the garlic and oil until the zucchini just softens
- Add chilli, oregano and olives, then some salt and pepper to taste
- When zucchini has softened and all the herbs are mixed through, transfer into a serving bowl and top with parmesan cheese and basil
For a larger amount of sauce, you can try making this homemade pasta sauce recipe to use on top of the zucchini spaghetti!