It can be hard to find recipes for snacks that are quick and easy to make, as well as filling and nutritious.
These quinoa and date protein balls are the perfect snack for during the day or to have as a sweet treat after dinner. High in protein they satisfy your hunger and the small amount of cocoa powder is a great addition for those with a love of chocolate. The dates keep them moist and provide just the right amount of sweetness. No baking is required, just remember to store them in the fridge.
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 15 whole pitted dates
- 2 tbsp cranberries (dried)
- ½ cup raw almonds/mixed nuts
- 1/3 cup crunchy natural peanut butter
- 1-2 tsp cocoa powder
- To begin, put the quinoa and the 1 cup of water into a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes until all of the water has been absorbed. (NB: This is the standard way to cook quinoa in case you want to make it for a salad or with dinner)
- Take the quinoa off the heat and leave to sit for two hours in the fridge, or overnight if that suits you better.
- The next step, pulse the pitted dates in a food processor until finely chopped. Do the same with the small number of cranberries. Add the almonds/mixed nuts and chop further.
- Add the quinoa and peanut butter and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and combined into a dough like mixture.
- At this point, add 1-2 tsp of organic cocoa powder to add a subtle chocolate flavour.
- Take dessert spoons and roll into balls. Should make about 12.
You can then roll in dessicated coconut or sprinkle shredded coconut over the top.
Keep refrigerated until eaten
There are many recipes similar to this posted on all sorts of websites. This is my own recipe that I developed. Many others you may see will ask you to include protein powders, but unless you are an elite athlete there is no reason as to why you can’t get your daily protein requirements from real, natural food.